Attorneys jeff kulinsky and Vimal J. Kottukapally

A Reputation For Excellence

Offering clients efficiency, experience and effectiveness in legal matters great and small since 1983.

Attorneys jeff kulinsky and Vimal J. Kottukapally
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » What if the noncustodial parent doesn’t pay child support?

What if the noncustodial parent doesn’t pay child support?

On Behalf of | Feb 15, 2018 | Child Custody |

Taking care of the children is the responsibility of both parents. In many cases where the parents are not together, one Illinois parent has physical custody of the children and the noncustodial parent is responsible for taking care of the children in part by payment of child support. The majority of the time, this arrangement works; however, there are instances where the parent responsible for child support payments fails to comply.

There are a number of steps that can be taken if the noncustodial parent fails to uphold his or her part of taking care of the children. For example, federal or state tax refunds can be diverted, wages can be garnished, the driver’s license can be suspended or revoked and a real estate lien can be recorded. Additionally, if the amount owed is great enough, passport application can be denied and the individual’s name and picture can be listed on the “Illinois Deadbeat Parent” website.

Additionally, if the parent who owes child support does not live in Illinois, there are steps that can be taken. There are federal laws in place that allow for enforcement of the Illinois child support order. Additionally, there are services in place to assist in locating the noncustodial parent.

Although child support is typically handled through one’s local child support agency, the laws and paperwork associated with child support can be complicated. It is important to make sure that the proper information is provided and that the paperwork is accurate. Many Illinois custodial parents find that an experienced attorney can be invaluable in this process.

Source:, “Illinois Child Support Enforcement“, Accessed on Feb. 12, 2018


FindLaw Network