Attorneys jeff kulinsky and Vimal J. Kottukapally

A Reputation For Excellence

Offering clients efficiency, experience and effectiveness in legal matters great and small since 1983.

Attorneys jeff kulinsky and Vimal J. Kottukapally
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Support
  4.  » Man arrested for failing to pay child support

Man arrested for failing to pay child support

On Behalf of | Jul 4, 2019 | Child Support |

There are many different types of parents in Illinois and many different parenting styles. While there is a great deal of variety in how a person chooses to parent, there is little choice when it comes to meeting a parent’s financial responsibility to his or her children. In fact, failing to pay court-ordered child support payments can have serious consequences. 

For example, a man in another state was recently arrested on felony charges because state prosecutors claim that he owes over $175,000 in child support. The man and the mother of the children reportedly divorced in 2006. At that time, he was ordered to provide financial support for three children.

However, reports indicate that he never made any payments. Though he was ordered to pay just under $4,500 or face arrest in 2007, he reportedly left the country instead. Upon his recent return to the country, he reportedly attempted to contact one of his children. He was taken into custody and is being held on $50,000 bond.

The state attorney general claims that felony charges are rarely used in child support cases. However, he further states that doing so is often a tool the state uses to attempt to force parents to provide the financial support their children require. In some cases, a parent may find it difficult to meet his or her financial obligations. However, taking legal action — such as requesting a modification — can prevent the circumstances that the father in this case is now facing. An attorney with experience with such cases in Illinois can help those who are struggling to make court-ordered payments as well as parents who want to enforce an existing order.


FindLaw Network