Attorneys jeff kulinsky and Vimal J. Kottukapally

A Reputation For Excellence

Offering clients efficiency, experience and effectiveness in legal matters great and small since 1983.

Attorneys jeff kulinsky and Vimal J. Kottukapally
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Alimony
  4.  » Ex-husband must still pay alimony, despite commitment ceremony

Ex-husband must still pay alimony, despite commitment ceremony

On Behalf of | Jun 6, 2019 | Alimony |

When couples choose to divorce, there are multiple decisions that must be made. While some people in Illinois may want to rush to an agreement so that they can continue on to the next chapter of their lives, the decisions that are made during the divorce process — including alimony — can have a significant impact on each person’s future. In some cases, it may be difficult to change such decisions should they prove to be burdensome.

man in another state is working to show that he should no longer have to pay his ex-wife spousal support. The couple apparently agreed that he would no longer provide such support if she marries. He argues that since the woman invited friends and families to witness a “commitment ceremony” between her and her new partner, he should be able to stop making payments.

A lower court agreed with him. However, the decision was later appealed, with the appeals court ruling that without witnesses, a certificate with the county clerk and a ceremony, the couple is not considered married, and the ex-husband must continue to provide support. The man still has the option of appealing the appellate court decision to the Michigan State Supreme Court.

A representative for the woman claims that the divorce settlement — apparently including the alimony agreement — was “carefully negotiated.” He further states that both parties agreed to it. Unfortunately, family law disagreements can become complicated if there is a disagreement between the parties, and especially if it becomes necessary to appeal a court’s decision. Fortunately, there are experienced attorneys who can help those in Illinois facing such a predicament.


FindLaw Network