Lois Kulinsky & Associates, Ltd.
Contact Us Today For a Free Consultation
View Our Practice Areas

Once a child support order is put in place, can it be changed?

While going through the divorce process, you knew that an order of support would be part of your final terms. The child support order took effect the minute you, your ex and a judge signed off on the dissolution petition. For a while now, you have made the granted amount work, but recently, you have found yourself struggling with it. This leaves you wondering if it is possible to have the amount adjusted.

The good news is, yes, child support orders are adjustable. The bad news is, making it happen can prove difficult.

Ways to seek a support adjustment

There are three ways you can go about seeking a child support modification. Those are:

  • Private negotiations
  • Mediation
  • Litigation

You and your ex may be able to talk things out and come to new terms without having to involve attorneys or a judge. However, whether the change is temporary or permanent, put it in writing and submit it to the state so that it is enforceable. If private negotiations fail, negotiations with the assistance of a mediator may prove more effective. If there is strong resistance, litigation may be the only way to achieve the modification desired.

Reasons to request the change

To receive a support adjustment, you need to have a good reason for wanting one in the first place. Acceptable reasons for modification include:

  • Job loss
  • Income reductions
  • Change in child's needs
  • Disability

There are others, but the overall gist is that a significant life change needs to occur for a judge to even consider adjusting the amount you have to pay or receive.

You don't have to fight for this alone

If you believe a child support modification is necessary, you may think that filing a request with the state would be simple and straightforward. The truth is, adjustment requests can turn into nasty affairs if one party is adamantly against it, regardless if the qualifications necessary to achieve it exist.

If you are not on good terms with your ex and are unable to negotiate a fair and balanced support agreement outside of a court setting, you do not have to fight for it alone. With the right assistance, you and your ex can let the court know your positions on the matter. A judge will then get to decide if an adjustment will be of benefit.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • The Chicago Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association | 1912
  • 10 Best | 2015 - 2019 | Attorney Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • DBR | Chamber of Commerce | Deerfield | Bannockburn | Riverwoods

Tell Us About Your Experience

Review Us
Email Our Attorneys

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wheeling Office
395 East Dundee Road, Suite 200
Wheeling, IL 60090

Phone: 847-459-4448
Fax: 847-459-8548
Map & Directions

Libertyville Office
611 S. Milwaukee Avenue, Suite 4
Libertyville, IL 60048

Phone: 847-281-0200
Map & Directions

Buffalo Grove Office
355 W Dundee Rd
Suite 100
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

Phone: 847-459-4448
Map & Directions