Lois Kulinsky & Associates, Ltd.
Contact Us Today For a Free Consultation
View Our Practice Areas

Does a minor in your family need care and support?

Most parents are willing and able to care for their children to the best of their ability. However, as your family may know first-hand, this does not always happen. There are times when a parent is physically absent or mentally incapable of caring for his or her children, which may leave a minor child without care, support and guidance. 

The law allows for other individuals to step in and help a minor who is not receiving care from his or her parents. This is guardianship, and it allows another adult to care for the physical and financial well-being of a child, typically until he or she reaches the age of 18. If there is a minor in your family who needs help, you may want to learn more about what guardianship means and how you can seek this designation.

What does a guardian do?

A guardian has a very specific and important responsibility for a child. The guardian will be responsible for managing finances on behalf of a child, making sure he or she has a safe environment and making other decisions with the best interests of the child in mind. Some of the specific things you will have to do if you are guardian of a child include the following:

  • Make sure the child has a place to live and is safe
  • Ensure the child is in school and is having his or her educational needs met
  • Provide food for the child or ensure he or she has access to food
  • Make certain the child has appropriate medical care

Guardianship of a child is different from adoption, as a guardianship does not legally sever the relationship the child has with his or her parents. You may want to consider seeking guardianship if you have a minor family member who is living in your home for any reason and will likely remain in your care for an extended period of time.

Caring for your loved ones

Guardianship is often appropriate in situations when a child loses one or both parents for reasons that include death, incarceration or addiction. This is a smart way for your family to care for family members in need. The court generally prefers for a guardian to be a family member or a person known to and familiar with the child.

If you think this is the best step for your Illinois family, you may want to start by seeking a complete evaluation of your case and assessment of the legal options available to you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • The Chicago Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association | 1912
  • 10 Best | 2015 - 2019 | Attorney Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • DBR | Chamber of Commerce | Deerfield | Bannockburn | Riverwoods

Tell Us About Your Experience

Review Us
Email Our Attorneys

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wheeling Office
395 East Dundee Road, Suite 200
Wheeling, IL 60090

Phone: 847-459-4448
Fax: 847-459-8548
Map & Directions

Libertyville Office
611 S. Milwaukee Avenue, Suite 4
Libertyville, IL 60048

Phone: 847-281-0200
Map & Directions

Buffalo Grove Office
355 W Dundee Rd
Suite 100
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

Phone: 847-459-4448
Map & Directions