Lois Kulinsky & Associates, Ltd.
Contact Us Today For a Free Consultation
View Our Practice Areas

How do I secure the delinquent child support payments owed to me?

If the parent of your child who is responsible for making child support payments is delinquent, you have several legal options. The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984 mandates that state attorneys must help you collect your payments. Here, the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services offers child support enforcement services to families. The organization will take several steps in order to assist you with securing the payments, such as the following:

  • Establishing paternity
  • Securing an order for child support
  • Enforcing the order
  • Obtaining medical insurance for the child

One of the most common ways to enforce a child support order is to contact the delinquent parent’s employer and withhold income. This method can also be applied to income tax returns and unemployment benefits or other sources of income. It is also possible to issue orders to revoke a driver’s license or even deny a passport issuance.

The Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services also has the authority to place a lien against property owned by the non-custodial parent. According to the Illinois Attorney General, other penalties may include pursuing state or federal criminal prosecution. The office of the attorney general reports that in 2013, the state collected $289 million in child support on behalf of more than 500,000 children.

If you are owed money for child support, you may contact the department in order to start the enforcement process. Depending on the situation, it may be wise to contact an attorney, especially when the courts become involved. While this information may be useful, it should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • The Chicago Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association | 1912
  • 10 Best | 2015 - 2019 | Attorney Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • DBR | Chamber of Commerce | Deerfield | Bannockburn | Riverwoods

Tell Us About Your Experience

Review Us
Email Our Attorneys

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wheeling Office
395 East Dundee Road, Suite 200
Wheeling, IL 60090

Phone: 847-459-4448
Fax: 847-459-8548
Map & Directions

Libertyville Office
611 S. Milwaukee Avenue, Suite 4
Libertyville, IL 60048

Phone: 847-281-0200
Map & Directions

Buffalo Grove Office
355 W Dundee Rd
Suite 100
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

Phone: 847-459-4448
Map & Directions